Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"It's a Sunshine Day"




That's right mothertruckers. I brought out the Brady Bunch for this post. Why?

1) The Brady Bunch rules

2) And this bitch isn't going to have to endure chemo a second time



I met with Dr. Silverman today positive I was getting chemo. I have heard it all: your age, its in your node, etc. So was completely prepared for the worst case scenario. She came in. She showed me options. Then she wrote this:

Chemo: 2-5%

No Chemo: 4-7%



I looked at her then said, "Are you telling me basically chemo is giving me a 2% better chance of NOT getting cancer again?". "Yes", she answered. Well the decision was simple for me:

HELL TO THE NO

She agreed. Although she did say if I wanted chemo, by all means she would give it to me. I told her its just not worth the long term effects to me. She went on to explain that I needed to get the genetic testing(which I am scheduling tomorrow). If I test positive, they will remove my ovaries. If I test negative, they will put me in early menopause with a shot called Lupron. This will be a monthly shot for 3-5 years. It basically puts your ovaries to sleep.

So I made an appointment for next month to start the process of the Lupron shots. The testing can take awhile. So while I am waiting on that, the shots can begin. As I left the room, she said to me:

"I completely agree with your decision"

Thank you Dr. Silverman. You rock and you made me a very, very happy woman. I am beyond ecstatic. Most of you reading this have fortunately never endured chemo. Thank god. It sucks. It fucking sucks. Then you think not only how crappy you are going to feel, how horrible you will look, you think about how you will work? How much time off you will need? Sad that we have to think about these things in the United States of America.

I am off to celebrate----beer and wings. Just what the doctored ordered...kind of.


XOXO-
B

No comments:

Post a Comment