Friday, August 3, 2012

"Chicken Fried"



I am steering off of the cancer posts for this one to talk about this damn Chick Fil A controversy. I didnt want to make a status update about this on Facebook. I am, quite honestly, disgusted by some of you who did. Posting pictures of yourself at a Chick Fil-A eating a sandwich looking like you just won the lottery. Congrats.

Look. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That's the beauty of the United States of America. Here is my problem: Mr. Cathy, you sir are a business owner. We get that you are a Christian. You are even nice enough to be closed on Sundays so your employees dont have to work since its a "holy day"(honestly though I would love to know the stat of how many of these people actually go to church). However, I go to your establishment to buy chicken. I dont go there to hear your political views. Do you ever hear Burger King talk abortion? McDonalds talk about the death penalty? No. And you never will. Why? Because its not appropriate.

Mr. Cathy is in a business to make money. And he did exactly that on August 1st, 2012 as people flocked to his establishments to prove some point. I am still not clear what that point was. You hear two reasons:

1) We are supporting his right to free speech
2) We believe those "gays" should not have the same marriage rights at us "normal" people.

Lets tackle point number 1:

Back in 2003, Natalie Maines, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, made the following comment about President Bush at a concert:

We are ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas

A comment, made at a concert.......in London. No biggie right? Wrong. "Freedom of speech" went out the window. The Republican party was outraged. Death threats ensued. Dont believe me? Their Cleveland concert was postponed because of a death threat. A death threat because a singer made a comment that she was embarrassed to be from the same state as our President. Clear Channel, who runs basically every radio station and largely backed by the Republican party, made sure the Dixie Chicks would never be heard on their airwaves again. And.......it worked. They even made a documentary about it: "Shut Up & Sing". I remember all of the quotes: "We don't want to hear your political views. You are a singer. You shouldn't be speaking about politics at a concert".

So why is Mr. Cathy any different? Shouldnt the Republican/Conservative party say: "Shut up and make me some damn chicken"? Or does that not apply when you AGREE with the opinion stated?

Point #2. I am not going to go into some long winded speech about why I feel gays should have the same rights as me. I have many gay friends. And if YOU do, and you dont feel like he/she should have the same RIGHTS as you? Well, all I can say is, SHAME ON YOU. And if you don't have gay friends, you should get one because they are really cool, dress well, and smell nice. Oh and they are really funny too. You might even like them.

And who knows, maybe one day you will realize that they are human--just like you and me.

XOXO-
B

1 comment: