Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Them Bones"




Third shot is in the books. Yesterday I had to go out to St John West Shore because Siedman over at Westlake was closed due to no power. Very nice facility! I always have alot of questions when I go in there because there is 4 weeks between shots. One of the questions I wanted to know was:

"After 3 years, my period will come back, right? So aren't I producing hormones at that point and high risk for ovarian cancer?"

My chemo nurse, Terri(who is AWESOME!), explained to me that once you are diagnosed with breast cancer and they rule out that you are NOT positive for the breast cancer gene, the reason they put you on the shot for 3 years is because that 3 year window is when you have the HIGHEST risk for ovarian cancer. Once you get past that 3 year window, I have the same risk as anyone else would. Its all about research and statistics.

Keep in mind this could change too once I get the other results back from the second round of genetic testing. However, I will not be getting those results back for another 3-6 months. In the meantime, I will be getting the shot in my ass. It doesn't hurt for those who have asked. I have enough fat back there!

The positive side of this all is no period! No cramps. No bullshit! The hot flashes have seemed to somewhat get better. I told her I was at the gym more. Now back at it 4 times a week which I actually really enjoy. She then asked me if I noticed any bone pain. That was weird because the other day I noticed my left hip was aching. I attributed it to the gym but she thinks its from the shot. The Lupron shot makes your bones less dense. I am currently on prescription Vitamin D and she also recommended a calcium supplement which I will be picking up this weekend. She also really pressed that its important to keep moving. Keep walking, keep lifting weights, but do not stay stationary. It will help out greatly.

Next month I will be meeting with my oncologist, Dr Silverman, and we will go into more detail about how I am handling the shots, my genetic counseling, etc. I do not see the oncologist everytime I go. I see her every third time(unless there is some pressing need to see her obviously).

On a completely different note, how about that storm huh? I feel so bad for all of those people. I know it sucks to lose power(as many of you did in North East Ohio--and some still do not have it). I totally sympathize. Back in 2011, during an ice storm, in February, I had a tree branch fall on my power lines and rip my electric meter off of my house. No power for 3 days!! And it was fucking FREEEEEEEEEEZING.

Shout out to President Obama who was competent during all of this and even Chris Christie gave him kudos(and he hates Obama). I am sure though nobody else that isnt voting for Obama will give credit where credit is due and that is a shame. Put your political agendas aside for second. And speaking of politics.......








Stay dry everyone!

XOXO
B










No comments:

Post a Comment