Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Answers and News

Today was my appointment with Dr. Shenk out in Westlake. We discussed the surgery and the plan of attack so to speak. When he called me last Thursday, it was on my cell phone and when you get news like that you have a tendency to mishear what they are telling you. It is alot to take in as you can imagine. When I asked him about doing reconstruction after radiation, he stated I wont be doing radiation if I opt for mastectomy. Ohhhhhhhhhh! Well thats good news, right? He said radiation would be only if I were to opt for lumpectomy. Sure that would be the relatively easy way out. However, I am 38. Imagine living your life always wondering, "What if?", "What was that pain?". I lived that way for 4 years. Always knowing I could get it again.

So mastectomy it is. Get this bitch off. I am sick of dealing with her. Boobs are overrated if you ask me. And they are ticking time bombs. He would like me to have genetic testing so see if I carry the breast cancer gene. If I do, I will have to get my ovaries removed because I am high risk for ovarian cancer. So, once I get this surgery taken care of and I am all healed I will be seeing the genetic counselor for this. I think its important not only for me but for my brother's daughter too. That way when she is old enough, she can get tested.

My surgery will be Wednesday, July 18th. Ironically, my first surgery was on June 18th back in 2008. Weird huh?

I, of course, asked about our family vacation August 11-18th and he didnt see it being a problem. So I will take a few weeks off from work to recover. Go back to work for a week or 2 then go away for a week. FORTUNATELY, I have only used ONE day of vacation thus far.

This Thursday, I will be meeting with my wonderful plastic surgeon, Dr. Soltanian. He did the reconstruction on my right breast. Amazing. I will be meeting with him at 11:45 so I can fortunately just take my lunch break to do that. Then at 4:20 I go and get my damn permanent crown for my root canal from last week. You cant make this shit up!

Anyways, I have decided I will recover at home from my surgery. I will have my DVR, trashy reality tv, Netflix, internet and my kitties. It will be much easier on me. I have had numerous friends offer to help me out with my drains and bandages(which is beyond humbling) and the running joke is Debbie Lamb is in charge of giving me sponge baths. :)

So one month to go and have some fun......if you want to get together pencil me in now! I dont plan on sitting at home the next month as I know what I am facing for recovery. That includes going to see my girl Ms Sarah McLachlan in Toledo June 27th(driving solo!) and going to my friend Jen's wedding on the 30th. I am so happy I can be at these two things right now, you don't even know.

Thank you to everyone who has reached out, sent me cards, flowers, gift cards, etc. It helps me more than you will ever know.


XOXO
B-



8 comments:

  1. You are awesome, Barra. Really!!! I don't have words to express it, but I have read the other comments and they say it for me.

    And as a sidenote, if you ever need a pal to go to Sarah with you - I LOVE her!

    I LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear some good news! I love that you are sharing everything with all of us in such an honest, open way. It's simply YOU and I just adore you more than ever. Here for you, whatever you need .. .even if you need a refill on your patchouli stockpile :)
    Hugs, kisses and neverending love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a strong woman Barra and your positive outlook on life is an inspiration to all. Keep fighting the fight and give this the knock out punch for once and for all. Can't wait for our vaca....

    Much Love,
    Matt, Kristina, Sedona & Tiger and our beta fish too, who I don't believe you had the pleasure of meeting...Big Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear this good news! Barra, you are awesome! I LOVE that you are thinking of your niece and how getting the genetic testing will help her. You are amazing, thinking of others as you battle this. Stay strong, lady!!!!! I am here for you, whatever you need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful news Barra! So happy for you. Stay strong and know that you are loved! I have been a prayer warrior for you I promise, and I will not let up! Hugs and prayers! jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very inspiring , and I am SO glad you will be at the wedding too! :)

    ReplyDelete